Function: Directly responsible for all dining room functions at the River Dance Lodge dining room (formerly the Syringa Café). Supervises support staff as needed when performing kitchen/ dining room related duties. .
Description: The River Dance Lodge is a small log cabin resort located in central Idaho along the banks of the Clearwater River and next to US Highway 12, roughly half way between Missoula, Montana and Lewiston, Idaho. The resort is owned by the owners of ROW Adventures, Idaho’s largest rafting and adventure travel company. There are 8 log cabins that sleep from 4-10 people, three glamping tents for two people each, and on-site restaurant, the Syringa (with a "hard g") Café that seats 60.
We are seeking a talented chef or cook who would work closely with our lodge manager to provide excellent food to our guests. Our emphasis is on Northwest Regional food and each year’s cook works with the owners to develop the season’s menu. Our aim is to serve healthy food with some local sourcing where possible within a defined budget.
The chef is capable of developing menus and menu costing, inventory control, supervising other kitchen staff, have good cooking skills and strong communication skills. The chef will fully cooperate with and aid as needed the General Manager for any duties related to the Lodge, whether kitchen related or not. This means there are times of years when this position may be doing housekeeping, grounds keeping, etc.
We operate as an all-inclusive resort and offer packages that include accommodations, meals and activities. However, people may also just rent cabins or buy our “Serenity Packages” that include accommodations and meals, but no activities. The on-site restaurant, the Syringa (with a "hard g") Café, seats 60. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served daily, and a more detailed description of this service will be provided later to qualified candidates in the hiring process.
We are seeking people looking for a long term seasonal position. Applicants should be strong team players, guest and service-oriented, positive, energetic, ambitious, motivated, hard- working, and have excellent supervisory and communications skills. We have no tolerance for cooks or chefs that bring a temper, or big ego.
We offer competitive pay, housing during the season, a 401K retirement plan, and FSA. We are a family-run business and offer a healthy, supportive work environment. The owners live four hours away in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho but visit on a regular basis. Reservations, and national sales and marketing take place from our Coeur d’Alene office.
The resort is open from mid- or latter-April to mid-October and this position would start in mid- April and end in mid-October.
The resort was built from 2004-2005 and has a proven track record and loyal guests. The area is an outdoor paradise with rivers for canoeing, rafting and kayaking, wilderness areas for hiking, fishing and hunting and wide-open spaces to explore.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of support staff as it relates to dining room duties..
- Be knowledgeable of company policies regarding personnel
Dining Room Operations:
- Responsible for all items detailed in the Restaurant Manager Job Description.
- Ensure that restaurant service meets or exceeds quality standards and provides consistently great food, service and presentation.
- Assist the GM to organize and host special events such as music in the restaurant, wine-maker dinners and such to increase local business and guest satisfaction.
General & Administrative:
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations as explained above about the need to be “hands on.”
- Responsible for overall cost control. Expense comparisons from previous years will be provided as guidelines.
- Responsible for operating the restaurant in a way that minimizes energy consumption including electricity and propane and monitoring monthly usage carefully.
- Must embrace our “responsible business” ethics and run the resort in as environmentally responsible a manner as possible including reducing, reusing and recycling.
- Maintain excellent relationship with Lodge suppliers and outside maintenance personnel.
- Improve and expand the Resort’s standing and visibility in the local market area.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Train all kitchen staff to be familiar with the scope of ROW’s operations and be able to converse about these with lodge and restaurant guests.
- Understand and permeate the place with a sense of the Resort’s Mission and Values.
- A minimum of three years of experience in the restaurant business, ideally in a supervisory or management position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Familiar with POS systems. We have (Maitre D’).
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, staff and guests.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
How to Apply:
Thank you for applying to River Dance Lodge!