Last Updated May 10, 2021


This page is updated as needed as we monitor the ever-changing Coronavirus situation.

For 41 years ROW Adventures and our sister companies, Adventure Unbound, Sea Kayak Adventures and River Dance Lodge, have been sharing the joy of meaningful, life-enriching travel. We’ve been through a number of difficult times, but like most people, have never experienced anything like the current global pandemic that has impacted so many people in so many ways. We thank everyone who has been navigating these difficult times with us. Thank you for valuing travel and the positive changes it provides the world.

We want to reassure you that our first priority is the health and wellbeing of our guests, our employees and our greater travel community. We are very happy to report that we have completed a successful summer season of adventure on rivers, lakes and trails in the Pacific Northwest of the United States.  From June through early September 2020, we took hundreds of people on trips lasting 3 or more days and well over a thousand people on our 1-day trips.  With our 2020 Coronavirus protocols in place, to the best of our knowledge, we did not have anyone on our trips contract COVID-19.  We are so enormously proud of our guides, support staff and suppliers that worked hard to ensure the wellbeing of our guests and themselves.  We are also extremely thankful to all our guests who traveled with us and created lifelong memories of time together in nature.  To learn more about our plans for managing Coronavirus in 2021, please read our current travel information page. 

As a family owned and operated company, we take our responsibility to our employees, suppliers and guests seriously.  One of those responsibilities is to run our business in a sustainable manner.  The rapidly changing situation of the last months has been very challenging, emotionally and economically, and we have been doing our best to make sound decisions that are fair for everyone involved.  For those who were not comfortable traveling in 2020 we provided rainchecks for future travel with us. We believe this has been mostly a win/win for our guests and the future of our company.  We recognize that nevertheless there has been economic hardship shared by many.


In order to make sure that we remain a viable business into the future, we have instigated some changes in our booking policies that protect our business and your vacation investment.  The below is an addendum to our standard terms and conditions and applies to all bookings made from July 1, 2020 to current. 

Effective July 1, 2020 - All guests making new reservations for travel on any of our USA rafting, hiking or biking trips lasting 2 or more days, are required to purchase CFAR (Cancel for any reason) Travel Insurance to protect their investment and ours. In the ever-changing world of COVID-19 where national, state and local regulations are unpredictable, this insurance protects both you and us. It covers 100% of your trip price if you cancel for any of the standard "covered reasons" such as breaking your leg before the trip, or the need to stay home and care for a sick family member, but it also covers 75% of your trip price if you cancel for any reason such as simply not being comfortable traveling, or situations that make it impossible for us to perform the trip.  

Should you choose to decline this insurance, you may opt to sign a document stating the decline and acknowledging that there will be no refund nor credit given should you have to cancel, or should we be unable to perform the trip or a comparable substitute trip, due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

If natural causes such as forest fires, road closures due to landslides, water that is too high or too low, force a trip to be cancelled, we reserve the right to provide a comparable trip on another river and if we are not able to provide a comparable substitute trip, we will provide a credit in the amount paid to be applied to a future trip. (An exception to this policy applies for trips on the Bruneau and Owyhee rivers due to the uncertain nature of their flows.  When you sign up for these trips we ask you in advance if you are willing to substitute a trip on the Snake River if water levels make operations on the Bruneau or Owyhee impossible.  We will refund monies to those people who indicate they do not want to switch to the Snake River and/or if we have to cancel the trip altogether because not enough people are willing to transfer.)

No cash refunds will be issued for any reason whatsoever. As a company we cannot afford to maintain our knowledgeable year-round office staff that guides you to the trip best suited to your needs, purchase food and trip supplies, hire and train guides, commit to transportation needs, and prepare for trips and then refund trip fees when events cause people to cancel, or us to cancel, for reasons that may be beyond everyone’s control.

Please understand there will be no exceptions to our policy. 

Are you still operating your trips?

Yes, we operated all our USA-based trips during the summer of 2020 and plan to continue to do so in 2021 unless regulations prevent us from operating. Our River Dance Lodge was also quite busy during the summer of 2020 and operated in accordance with guidelines issued by the State of Idaho.  We are now open for the 2021 season.

Internationally, we operated trips from November of 2020 through April 2021 in Baja, Mexico.  As other destinations open, and allow U.S. travelers, we will continue to resume operations on a case-by-case basis.  We are currently able to offer trips in Ecuador, Peru, Croatia and Turkey among other destinations..

Have you changed the balance due date for trips due to COVID-19?

For the spring and summer season of 2021, our standard Terms and Conditions apply. 

Will travel insurance protect my vacation investment? 

Please see the note above about our required purchase of CFAR (Cancel for Any Reason) travel insurance.  You can learn more about this coverage here.

If I cancel or change my departure, or ROW cancels my trip, will ROW cover my costs for pre or post-trip flights, car rentals, hotels or other associated trip expenses?

In the event of any cancellation or rescheduled trip, you are responsible for cancellation or change fees related to rental cars, pre or post-trip flights, hotels, etc.

Please email your Adventure Consultant, or gives us a call at 1-208-765-0841 if you have any questions about the policies specific to your trip and the area(s) you are visiting. Ultimately, if we do not cancel a trip, the decision to travel is up to you.

What if I’m considering making a new reservation?  

For reservations for USA trips taking place in 2021, please refer to our deposit and payment policies on our Terms and Conditions page.  

For trips scheduled for 2021:  Book with Confidence - To confirm your trip, a deposit is required within 72 hours of making your reservation. Your deposit is fully refundable up to 10 days after you book when you sign up 10 days or more before final payment due date (does not apply to Private or Custom Trips). 

Please understand that because the COVID-19 situation is changing daily and unpredictable, we reserve the right to change these policies without prior notice.

What operational changes have you made during the Coronavirus Pandemic?

To learn more about our policies regarding screen and attendance on our trips, sanitary precautions and other COVID-19 related questions, please visit our COVID-19 screening, attendance and operational response page.