You may have figured out by now that we love cooking with a dutch oven. And we want to share that love with you! Below is a recipe from Everyday Dutch Oven that we whip up on many of our trips. One of the best parts of this recipe is that it only requires a few ingredients. The addition of pudding helps make the cake thick and moist, and full of flavor. Whether you're enjoying this cake on a ROW trip, on your own camping adventure, or in your backyard, this recipe will melt away your worries into a pile of gooey chocolate.
New to dutch oven cooking? Here is a great resource to get you started. Enjoy!
Chocolate Pudding Dump Cake
- 1 16 oz package chocolate cake mix
- 1 3.9 oz package instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or go for some dark chocolate for an even richer flavor!)
- Get your coals going in the fire pit or grill. You'll want about 32-40 coals, depending on the size of your oven.
- Lightly oil or spray your dutch oven; line with parchment paper, if desired.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk with pudding mix until thickened.
- Stir in the cake mix; mix until well combined. This may be an arm workout, as the batter will be thick!
- Spread the batter in the prepared dutch oven.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- Put the top of the oven on the bottom. For a 12-inch oven: Arrange about 12 coals on the bottom of the pit/grill. Place the oven on the coals, and top with about 18 coals around the outside of the lid, and 6 spaced evenly in the center of the lid.
- Bake (at about 350 degress) for 30-35 mintues, or until the edges of the cake pull away from the sides. Remove the oven from the coals.
- Allow to cool slightly before lifting the cake from the dutch oven.