Dutch Oven Chocolate Pudding Dump Cake
You may have figured out by now that we love cooking with a dutch oven. And we want to share that love with you! Below is a recipe from Everyday Dutch Oven that we whip up on many of our trips. One of the best parts of this recipe is that it only requires a few ingredients. The addition of pudding helps make the cake thick and moist, and full of flavor. Whether you're enjoying this cake on a ROW trip, on your own camping adventure, or in your backyard, this recipe will melt away your worries into a pile of gooey chocolate.
New to dutch oven cooking? Read our Dutch Oven Cooking on the River blog to learn more about Dutch oven cooking. Enjoy!
Chocolate Pudding Dump Cake Recipe
- 1 16 oz package chocolate cake mix
- 1 3.9 oz package instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or go for some dark chocolate for an even richer flavor!)
- Get your coals going in the fire pit or grill. You'll want about 32-40 coals, depending on the size of your oven.
- Lightly oil or spray your dutch oven; line with parchment paper, if desired.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk with pudding mix until thickened.
- Stir in the cake mix; mix until well combined. This may be an arm workout, as the batter will be thick!
- Spread the batter in the prepared dutch oven.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- Put the top of the oven on the bottom. For a 12-inch oven: Arrange about 12 coals on the bottom of the pit/grill. Place the oven on the coals, and top with about 18 coals around the outside of the lid, and 6 spaced evenly in the center of the lid.
- Bake (at about 350 degress) for 30-35 mintues, or until the edges of the cake pull away from the sides. Remove the oven from the coals.
- Allow to cool slightly before lifting the cake from the dutch oven.